Residential Pricing for Asphalt Paving
Beiler Brothers Asphalt wants to give you information regarding pricing on paving projects. On this page we try to help you understand asphalt pricing, why mix prices vary, and how to choose the mix that fits for you. You can get a price calculation for your new driveway and calculate how much blacktop your driveway needs. Also, see sealing prices below.
New Blacktop Package
- Fine grade and compact the stone.
- Pave with 2.5 inches compacted depth modified binder.
For new blacktop installation, 900 square feet is about $2,990. 5,000 square feet is approximately $7,740. 13,500 square feet is approximately $17,600. Prices vary on each job.
Most Common Blacktop Package
- Fine grade and compact the stone.
- Pave with 2 inches compacted depth 25mm binder.
- Pave with 1.5 inches compacted depth 9.5mm id-2 wearing.
The Most Common package costs approximately $3910 for 1500 square feet, $6980 for 3000 square feet, and $18400 for 10,000 square feet. Prices vary from job to job.
Driveway Resurfacing Package
- Mill or notch all driveway entrances or tie-ins to address drainage issues.
- Power-sweep the surface and dispose of asphalt millings offsite.
- Pave with a 3/4″ leveling course to increase ruggedness, durability, and smoothness.
- Pave with a 1.5″ wearing course.
For driveway resurfacing, 1,500 square feet is approximately $3,690. 5,000 square feet is approximately $7,510. Please call for pricing on larger projects.
Driveway Overhaul Package
- Remove 12 inches of the driveway and dispose somewhere local.
- Add 8 inches of stone. Fine grade and compact the stone.
- Pave with 4 inches of blacktop, 2 courses.
For a driveway overhaul, 900 square feet is approximately $4750. 2,000 square feet is approximately $9,000. Prices vary on each job.
How to Calculate Mix Tonnages for your project.
- Calculate the square feet of your driveway.
- Divide by 9. This gives you the square yards.
- Multiply by the compacted depth(Ex: Multiply by 3 for 3 inches compacted depth)
- Multiply by 115. 115 is the number of compacted pounds per inch in a square yard of asphalt.
- Divide by 2000. 2000 is the number of pounds in a ton.
- This is how many tons you will need for your driveway.
2017 Asphalt Prices.
- 25mm binder – $36-$48 per ton. $878 – $1171 per truck load
- 19mm modified binder $40-$52 per ton. $976 – $1268 per truck load
- 9.5mm id-2 wearing $44-$68 per ton. $1073 – $1658 per truck load
Understanding Asphalt Prices.
- 6% of the mix design is in the oil, 94% is in the stone.
- Stone prices make the asphalt price fluctuate more than oil prices.
- A $1-$2 price swing in pay at the pump gas prices can affect the asphalt prices by 1-5%.
- Transporting aggregate long distances can increase the price of asphalt by 10-20%.
- Adding RAP (recycled asphalt products) to new asphalt lowers the price per ton.
Understanding Mix Design
- Virgin mix with no RAP(recycled asphalt products) is more expensive. $68 per ton.
- Mix with 30% RAP is stiffer and more like concrete.
- Binder normally has higher percentages of RAP than id-2 wearing.
- RAP is often dusty and cools the new mix more quickly.
- High percentage RAP mixes are wonderful for leveling courses and binder coats.
- High percentage RAP mixes are almost always used on large projects to cut costs.
- High percentage RAP mixes are more durable but not as aesthetically pleasing.
- It is common for us to use high content RAP mixes on the binder coat and low content RAP mixes for the final coat. This way you get the toughness underneath and a beautiful driveway on top.
- Mixes with low RAP content are oilier and more flexible.
- Mixes with low RAP content need greater aggregate base support.
Understanding Driveway Installation Prices
- The primary costs are the mix, labor, and equipment.
- Mix costs are normally 30%-60% of the total job cost.
- Trucking costs are a significant factor.
- A driveway design with low RAP mix is generally more expensive.
- You will generally pay more for a company with a good reputation.
- Smaller paving contractors cut costs by operating older equipment.
- Large paving contractors generally have higher labor costs.
Things to consider when paving your driveway.
- Hire a company that you trust. Are they looking out for you?
- Pay more so you have more when you sell your home.
- A strong aggregate base is very important.
- Stone costs 25-35% the cost of asphalt.
- A heavy paver screed is important.
- A 1% decrease in air voids within the compacted mix increases the life by 10%.
- Consider paying more for better mix with low RAP content.
- Consider a binder coat in resurfacing applications.
- In resurfacing applications, a bonding agent between layers prevents potholes.
Here are some seal coating tips.
Our Company doesn’t offer seal coating services. Prices vary from $0.08 – $0.18 per square foot. $0.13 per square foot is common.
- You can do it yourself with a brush and bucket of sealer.
- More expensive sealers last longer and often have additives.
- Coal tar sealer with additives and sand is a quality sealer.
- Nice paving jobs never need sealer. Highways are never sealed.
- The only purpose of sealer is to seal cracks and make your driveway look good.
- If your driveway looks good and isn’t cracking, you should never seal it.
- Sealing too often creates sealer cracks.
- Sealing prevents condensation between the asphalt and air and keeps the asphalt more moist. This is most times not good.
- Spraying a driveway with sealer prevents pin holes(air trapped underneath the sealer escapes and creates pin holes).
- Sealing a driveway twice with a brush prevents pin holes.
Commercial Pricing for Asphalt Paving
General contractors and business owners need installations that stand the test of time and protect their investment. They want a finished product that is durable, smooth, rugged, and aesthetically pleasing, yet not too expensive. Beiler Brothers Asphalt meets those criteria and offers solutions for general contractors and business owners. See our commercial paving page for more photos.